Monday, April 26, 2010

Waiting for Rumpestilskin


This morning, I was sitting in my windowless cubicle, surrounded by fluorescent lights and feeling a bit like the princess that was locked in a tower room with bales of straw, trying to figure out some way to turn the straw into gold within three days. My network connection had gone down and I was unable to connect to any of the tools that I needed to do my job. I had called the Help Desk and done everything that asked me to try to no avail.

My case was supposedly marked as “high priority” and I was expecting a local IT person to show up at any moment and resolve the problem. But no one came.

True, I was not locked in a tower. I could have walked out of the building into the fresh air and sunlight without risk of life or limb. But I was being paid to produce technical documentation and I wanted to produce it.

Frustrated by the slow response from IT, I kept thinking about other analogies. I felt like someone who was asked to dig a ditch without being given a shovel or someone asked to cook a meal without being given any ingredients. The refrigerator and all the cabinets were locked shut and the guests were expected in a few hours.

Finally, it occurred to me to try something that the Help Desk had not suggested. I unplugged the coral-colored Ethernet cable from the coral-colored outlet that it had been plugged into and tried plugging it into an unused outlet that was colored green. Lo and behold, my connection worked.

Apparently, the color was insignificant. So I told the Help Desk that I no longer needed them and got back to work, feeling a bit abashed that I had not thought earlier of trying the other option. Another example of the need for thinking outside the box.

What about you? Have you found yourself stuck waiting for someone to help and then realized you could resolve the problem yourself by dealing with it another way?

No comments:

Post a Comment