Monday, April 12, 2010

Work is Therapeutic




It’s slightly over a month since the surgical pin was removed from my right hand and it’s still not “back to normal”. My physical therapist told me this morning that it make take up to a year for the hand to look and feel like a normal hand. But like the acupuncturist, my therapist encouraged me to use it as much as possible. “When are you starting work?” she asked.

I explained that I’m expecting to start working again this week. Any day now. Just waiting to hear that the company has completed processing my paperwork and finished their preparation for getting me back into their system.

“Good,” she said. “The work will help your hand to get stronger.”

That was useful for me to hear, because I had worried a bit that multiple hours of typing might be problematic.

“It will probably hurt,” she predicted, “But the exercise is actually beneficial.”

As you know from reading my blog, I have already been typing at home—not as part of my job. But since it’s voluntary, I tend to quit as soon as my hand begins to hurt. Typing as part of my job will encourage me to work through the pain.

She added more exercises to the list of recommended stuff that I’m supposed to do for my rehabilitation. Yes, some of that hurts, too. And yet, it’s good for me.

When I came home and found a sink full of dirty dishes, I was not upset. Prior to breaking my hand, I used to feel grouchy and resentful that my husband didn’t feel the same need for a tidy sink as I do. But at this point, I am still taking pleasure from the fact that I can hold a dish. As I scrub the sink and squeeze out the sponge, I am conscious of the fact that these movements are helping my hand to heal. It gives me a totally different attitude about household chores.

No comments:

Post a Comment