Thursday, March 4, 2010

Family and Flowers on My Birthday











I really wanted only one thing for my birthday this year – to be surrounded by my family. It’s somewhat ironic, because if my hand hadn’t been broken the only family that would have been with me for my birthday was my husband, Micha. That had been my original choice when we decided to spend my time off from work on an extended visit to San Miguel de Allende.

But we modified our plans at least a little bit and returned immediately after the Writer’s Conference, arriving home a few days before my birthday. I told both Micha and the girls that I didn’t want to do anything elaborate. I didn’t have any desire to go to a fancy restaurant, didn’t even have any yen for any particular kind of food—other than ice cream cake with chocolate for dessert.

We had someone staying in our house while we were away, so that our 17 ½ year old cat, Mitzi would not be lonely. Mateja, took excellent care of Mitzi and has several more days before she finishes her medical rotation at Stanford and returns to her family. We invited her to join our birthday party and she blended right in. She even gave me a bouquet of flowers. So my house is still full of flowers from my birthday – the mixed bouquet from Mateja, bright yellow and orange long-stemmed tulips from Keren, and an arrangement of orchids from my friend and neighbor, Miri.

The weather was sunny and warm, so we spent a lot of time outdoors, in our backyard and also in the playground with Gali. It was a perfect day.

No comments:

Post a Comment