Monday, February 15, 2010

Feeling Better After a Couple of Margaritas






My cold is improving, my hand is mas or menos the same as it has been, but I got hit by a wave of depression this afternoon. Started worrying whether my hand will heal correctly. The fourth finger, which is immobilized due to the fracture below its knuckle, is an ugly thing to behold. Swollen and blue, it is stuck in a curved position. And sometimes, I find myself worrying that it will stay that way forever. And it is so hard for me to do simple tasks that I am very dependent on Micha. I don't think that I can lock or unlock the front door of our apartment without him. And I cannot write with my right hand. So I began to wonder if I should cancel my plans to attend the Writer's Conference and go back to California as soon as possible.

But I will probably feel depressed in California, too, because I won't be able to do my usual activities--no yoga and probably no Israeli folk dancing or serious hiking. When I am in Spanish class, I still enjoy it even though I can't take notes or do homework. And I suppose that I would find the Writer's Conference very stimulating even if I won't be able to write during the workshops.

Anyway, Micha managed to cajole me to stop crying and go out with him to a happy hour, mardi gras celebration at Harry's Bar and I started feeling better as soon as we began our walk into town, and better yet after drinking two margaritas (I ordered only one, not realizing that it was 2 for 1.)

My hand makes it hard to get in a comfortable position to sleep, but it doesn't hurt as long as I am careful to protect it from any pressure, that is, as long as it doesn't touch anything and nothing touches it. One problem is that the only jacket I brought with me has somewhat fitted sleeves. It's actually my REI hiking jacket and the sleeve does allow for some expansion. But it isn't quite enough.

Yesterday was the warmest day that we had so far, and I didn't need to wear my jacket at all. Micha and I took a bus to Queretaro and spent the entire day there, which was a bit too long a day for me. That's why I didn't post anything when we came home. I went to bed instead.

But we both liked Queretaro a lot. We had heard that it was a big city, with lots of traffic, etc. That's true, but it also has a very large historic center and a lot of those streets are closed to traffic on Sundays. We visited two museums -- the regional museum and an art museum. Both museums are housed in former convents and the architecture is beautiful. In the regional museum, Micha took a lot of photos of an exhibit of miniature scenes showing the type of activities and artesans in different areas of Mexico. The exhibit is intended to be educational for the whole family, so the descriptions were written in easy Spanish, which also made them easier for us to read. Another visitor noticed us and also spent some time talking to us in slow Spanish. She was a retired teacher and told us that this was a popular exhibit for the schoolchildren.

There were also some beautiful, active churches in the same area and parks, and lots of people. We enjoyed people watching as much or more than anything else. Unlike San Miguel, we hardly saw any gringos. And there seemed to be more yong people. We ate lunch at a pleasant restaurant with a tranquil patio, La Llave. The food was good and inexpensive, and no one tried to talk to us in English. In fact, one of the other things we liked about our excursion to Queretaro was the practice we got in using Spanish. We even watched Spanish movies during the bus ride -- without subtitles.

No comments:

Post a Comment