Saturday, February 13, 2010

Really Not Crying -- It's just my head cold






Micha and I went back to the hospital today so that Dr. Murillo could check my hand. My hand really doesn't hurt much at all. Haven't even been taking the pain pills. But I have caught the cold that Micha had earlier in the week. It's mostly a problem of a stuffy, ruuny nose. But my eyes are also sensitive and running a bit. I had to assure Dr. Murillo that my tears had nothing whatsoever to do with him or my hand.

He took off the bandages to look at my hand. It was my first look at it post-surgery. Looks a bit gross to me with the pin showing at the knuckle and some swelling. But he was very pleased with it. Wrapped it up again in new bandages. Told me that I should start icing it again through the bandages, keep it elevated, and try to do some movements with my arm and shoulder to keep the rest of the arm as limber as possible.

He spent a long time talking to us, patiently answering our questions in a combination of slow Spanish and a little English. We talked about other things, including more anout his work at hospitals in San Miguel in the nearby city of Querretero, and the upcoming Writers Conference with Barbara Kingsolver.

He asked if we plan to return to San Miguel--maybe he would have liked to get a look at the results when my hand is all healed. Micha loves it here. But I answered that I'm not so sure, because I have fallen down during both our visits here. The first time I just got bruised. But this time, the fall was more serious.

Before we left, he said to me that maybe somehow this was all part of God's plan so that we would meet. Who knows...

I had been hoping to do a lot more writing and maybe some drawing during our time in San Miguel. You know that familiar saying, "Man makes plans and God laughs."

I need to consider myself lucky that it's just a fracture. With time, it will heal and I will have a greater appreciation of my right hand. Maybe in the meantime I'll develop some more facility with my left hand. Might be good for the brain.

After the hospital, we went for lunch at a Sri Lankan restaurant called Dela's. Interesting. Wide range of dishes available. The food was good, but my dish was a bit too rich for me. Couldn't finish. It was such a nice day that we meandered through Parque Juarez and the Jardin before coming home to rest. As we walked along Sollano street, which is one of the nice residential streets between the Parque and the Jardin, we saw one house that stood out from all the others. Probably someone is preparing to tear it down and decided to discourage inquiries from potential buyers by covering the walls with grafitti in both Spanish and English--see the photo in this posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment