Wednesday, February 17, 2010

In the City of Fallen Women



Actually, it isn't just women who fall here. Since breaking my hand, I've also met a few men who want to swap injury stories with me. But the locals like to joke about it being the city of fallen women.

We happened to hear the well known song on that theme "The Rising Sun" earlier this week at a Mardi Gras celebration in Harry's Bar. It was more modest than a Mardi Gras celebration in New Orleans and definitely more modest than Carnival in Brazil, but pushing the line a bit for San Miguel. The more typical way to celebrate Mardi Gras is for the boys and young men to throw confetti-filled eggs at one another or perhaps at girls that they are interested in. Our teacher, Aide, said that the boys used to be much more polite and they would ask permission before breaking a confetti egg over a girl's head. But recently, they have become more rowdy so that families and most young women try to avoid going to the Jardin (the main plaza) during this time. It's over now. Today is Ash Wednesday and some people--particularly some of the older Mexican men and women--have ash crosses drawn on their foreheads.

Feeling better about my hand today after another visit to Dr. Murrilo. I phoned him yesterday to ask him a couple of questions, and he suggested that I come to see him at the clinic. I thought he said "a las diez" (at 10 A.M.), but he actually said "a las doce" (at 12 P.M.). Next time, I'll make sure to confirm the hour by asking whether the time is "media dia" (noon).

So we left class at 9:30, took a taxi to the now familiar Hospital de la Fey, and discovered our mistake. We wanted to go back to class and stay for the remainder of our session. The latest time we could change to was 12:30, which allowed us to partipate in another 1 1/2 hrs of classes.

We took the local bus to get back to the center of town, because the bus came before a taxi and it was beginning to rain. The bus took a bit longer than the taxi, but we enjoyed reading the signs on the stores along the way.

I'm glad that we did go in for the checkup, because Dr.Murillo did manage to reassure me that my hand is doing well and he showed Micha exactly how to change the bandages. He also encouraged me to move my hand and my other fingers as much as possible. So now I am typing with the index finger on my right hand in addition to the fingers of my left hand.

I had already started writing a little bit with my right hand when classes resumed on Monday, because I wanted to take the weekly evaluation test. I can't bear down very hard and I do tire easily, but I did manage to take the test, and I have also started writing some brief notes in class. That feels like some progress.

Went out to two new restaurants this week and liked both of them--El Pegaso for lunch yesterday, and Burrito Bistro for lunch today.

Last night, we went to a play reading at St.Paul's Church. The actors were very good and the selection of plays was interesting. We met a couple there that invited us back to their place for drinks and ice cream after the show. The woman is originally from Israel, like Micha. And they are friends with another couple that we met on our previous visit.

Turns out that their house in San Miguel is just one block away from our apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment