Thursday, February 11, 2010

WOOPS!





Beware of the 3 Ds--Drowsy, Distracted, or Disgruntled when driving, operating machinery or walking anywhere in San Miguel. I will try to keep this short, because I am typing with just my left hand. On Wednesday day morning, as I was descending the 5 stone stairs within the apartment, I stumbled and fell. It's a a stone floor and I must have tried to catch myself with my right hand. It definitely hurt a lot and I sat there dazed for a little while. Micha was taking a shower at the time and didn't hear anything. I continued to prepare our breakfast, but started feeling worse instead of better. I decided to try to get to the school a bit early, so that I could ask Carmen, the office administrator (who also functions as the cooking teacher on Fridays) for a recommendation for a doctor. At the school entrance, I saw one of the other students in my class and told her that I was hurting. She gave me 2 Ibuprofen. By this time, I was beginning to suspect that the knuckle cf the finger closest to my pinkie was not in the right place.

I was lucky up until now never to have broken any bones. But I had a sinking feeling that my luck had run out. Carmen was a wonderful combination of efficiency and solicitude. She thought it might be just a sprain, because I could still move my fingers. But she proceeded to set up an appointment for me to get an x-ray at a place across the street from our school at 10 AM and to meet with a doctor at noon. She also gave me a bag of ice to put on my hand.

We were having a small test in my class and I didn't want to miss it. I found that I was able to write the answers using a pencil and not bearing down to hard. That was the last writing that I was able to do.

Micha came with me to the xray place, the doctor, and then to see the orthopedic surgeon at Hospital de la Fey. He recommended a surgical procedure, using a pin to stabilize the bone.

Sent me home but told me to come back Thursday morning. That's pretty much how Micha and I spent our day, yesterday--at the hospital from 10 - 3.

Feeling a bit better this morning. Have a pin in my hand and it will need to stay there for one month. But tomorrow they will unwrap the hand -- I think. And then I may be able to type with a couple of more fingers on my right hand. Going to class with Micha this morning. Can't take notes, but can talk and listen.

These photos were taken before, during, and after surgery. I am on pain pills in all of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment