Saturday, February 6, 2010

Some solo time on the sunny streets of San Miguel




It is such an incredibly beautiful day today that I feel like spending as much time outdoors as possible. Started off the day with an early Zumba class in Parque Juarez. Apparently, Micha tried to meet up with me there. But he came after the class had ended and we missed seeing each other.

I walked back to our apartment after class and we did eventually meet up there, at which point, I was anxious to go back outside as quickly as possible. Inside the apartment, it is still cold. But outside in the sun, it is delightfully warm.

Unfortunately, Micha is not feeling that good today. Maybe all those days of wet, cold feet got to him. So he chose to remain in the apartment, and I went back out on my own to enjoy the sun. I bumped into Stephanie (http://www.spaceclear.com/) as I was walking down the hill to toward the Jardin (the main plaza)and we talked briefly about how happy we were to bask in the sunshine. Then I continued on my own. I took some photos with my regular camera, which I still cannot upload since I don't have the right USB cable. But I also took a couple of shots with my android phone. The Jardin area is always full of life and I find the balloon sellers particuarly cheerful. So I will upload a couple of shots with the balloons. I sat for a while at La Parroquia Cafe (on Jesus St.)eating a light lunch and reading my book. We are going out tonight for dinner and a show with Kent and Jane, our new friends from Oklahoma. So I didn't want to eat a big meal for lunch, too. I ordered soup azteca. I think it's a vegetarian tomato based soup and it is served with cut up pieces of avocoda, white cheese, and tortilla strips, which I added to the soup. They also brought me a fresh baguette with butter. I enjoyed sitting on the patio, reading a little of my new book (Barbara Kingsolver's latest novel, Lacuna)and also doing a little bit of people-watching. I was surprised that most of the people sitting nearby were Spanish speakers. They might have been tourists from Mexico City, but they weren't gringos.

Afterwards, I went back to the Jardin area and bought a small cup of chocolate icecream at the icecream store on the corner of Correo and Reloj. I forget the name of the store, but not the address. It's supposed to be the best ice cream in San Miguel. I ate it while sitting on a bench in the park and doing some more people watching.

Then I figured that I'd better buy some groceries and head back to the apartment in case Micha was hungry. So I went to Bonanza grocery store on Mesones, which is where we did on previous shopping, got a few things there, bought a fresh baguette and the panaderia nearby, and then took a taxi home.

I heated up some soup for Micha, but he's still sleeping. So I'm using this time to write instead. Looking forward to going out later tonight -- the entertainment is Doc Severinsen's (famous from his days leading the NBC Orchestra on Johnny Carson's Tonight Show) jazz band. I've heard that it is quite likely that Doc Severinsen may not appear himself. He is over 82 and rarely comes. But the band is supposed to be good anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment