Monday, February 1, 2010

Managed to Walk Uphill to Santo Domingo

Wasn't sure that I could do it. But was pleased to discover that I actually could make it all the way up hill from centro to our apartment in the Santo Domingo area. It's quite a climb, and we had already done a lot of walking before that. But it was a pleasant evening, not too cold, not rainy and we weren't in a rush. Makes me feel better about the huge platter of enchilladas that I ate for dinner.

This is the end of our first full day in San Miguel de Allende. It's our second visit and it feels good to know our way around.

It rained all last night and this morning. So we spent our first morning in our small but efficiently designed rental apartment. Micha and I both have laptops and the apartment has wifi. Nice that we don't have to fight over the computer. We don't have a view from the apartment, but it's decorated with Mexican folk art and the rental management company also filled it with huge bouquets of fresh flowers. There is a really impressive view when we leave the apartment and walk up to the main level of the complex. Feels a bit like I'm working out on a stairmaster every time we do it. That's probably good, because I don't know if I'll manage to fit in time to go to the gym here (they actually do have an exercise room within the apartment complex!).

We walked down to centro for lunch, bought some groceries, and took a taxi back to the apartment. It would have been impossible to carry those bundles uphill.

For dinner we had tentatively arranged to meet up with a couple that had shared the shuttle with us last night. We suggested Hecho restaurant--one of the favorites with the local expats and a place we'd eaten a couple of times on a previous visit--and said that we'd all try to be there at 7 PM. I wasn't sure that I'd remember how to walk there. But Micha did. And we were pleasantly surprised to find our new friends waiting at a table for us.

Had a really nice evening together. And arranged to meet for dinner at another restaurant later in the week. I should probably go to sleep now. Tomorrow morning, we have to get up early for Spanish classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment